State Registration and Licensing

Sunbiz Registration

The Florida Division of Corporations requires all business entities to be registered in order to do business in the state.  It also requires registration of fictitious names and trademarks. This registration is required prior to obtaining a Business Tax Receipt (BTR) to do business in the City of Longwood. To register your business with the state, visit Sunbiz.

State Licensing

To see if your business requires state licensing, please contact the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation at (850) 487-1395 or visit

Sale of Alcoholic Beverages

Businesses wishing to sell alcohol must obtain a license from the Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco at This licensing also requires an alcoholic beverage sign-off by the City of Longwood. Businesses serving alcoholic beverages are also regulated by City Code and the Allowable Use Table of the Longwood Development Code. We recommend that establishments serving alcohol reach out to the Planning Division prior to selecting a location.